2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next this year?
I didn’t really have any New Year’s resolutions last year. I had some general goals – keep going to the gym, run a marathon – and I managed to carry those out. I’ll have some general goals for 2010 too, but I haven’t decided what exactly those are yet.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Well, I did! And also Derek & Indira, Glyn & Joanne and Eric & Kate welcomed babies to their families, to name but a few….so, yes…lots of birthing going on.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. And for this I am very thankful.
5. What countries did you visit?
Australia, Canada, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland and France.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A waistline? Being pregnant for most of 2009 kind of put a dent in that.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Sunday, November 29 2009. The day Suzanna was born.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
The birth of my beautiful, healthy baby girl.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I’m sure there are plenty of things I screwed up. Let’s not dwell on them.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not really. I had a couple of colds and what not, and I tweaked my back a few times in the second half of the pregnancy, but nothing too bad.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hmm. Either my entry to the 2009 Austin Marathon, or possibly our new French door refrigerator, which I just luuuuurve.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Into renovating our home.
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going to Australia for Evan and Trish’s wedding. Going to Japan to visit Katie and Marc. The completion of our home renovations. Alexander’s success at potty training. The arrival of Suzanna.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) more happy or more sad?
About the same. I was pretty happy this time last year, and I’m pretty happy now too. 🙂
b) thinner or fatter?
Fatter for sure! This time last year, I was neck deep in marathon preparations. Now I’m neck deep in nursing and nappy changes.
c) richer or poorer?
Poorer financially, mostly because I took a 20% pay cut through the first half of 2009 and now I’m on maternity leave, which is mostly unpaid (I get 12 weeks leave, but only get paid for 5 weeks at 60% of my salary…such are the joys of the US system) and we poured a bunch of money into renovating the house. It was money well spent and all that.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Writing on this here weblog of mine, so I’d have better, more clear recollections of what we did in the past year. Somehow 2009 is quite a blur.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying about Alexander – specifically, moving him to a Big Boy bed and potty training. He transitioned seamlessly from the crib to the twin bed and although potty training had it’s challenging moments, it really only took a couple of months, and Alexander has been without accidents in the potty department now for at least a month. Everyone said he would regress when Suzanna arrived, but he hasn’t. He’s really stepped up to the Big Boy expectations in so many ways. I’m so proud of him!
18. How will you spend Christmas?
Up early with the kids. Have some breakfast and open some pressies at home. Walk the Rose. Bundle everyone into the car and head over to my parents house. Have brunch. Open more pressies. Walk/nap/veg in front of computer/telly. Have Christmas dinner with my parents, sisters etc. Zzzzz.
19. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Yes, with Suzanna. It’s amazing to me how we humans are wired to expand our capacity for love with the arrival of a new family member. I love Mark and Alexander and Rosie just as much as I ever did, if not more. But now I love Suzanna too.
20. What was your favorite TV program?
21. What was the best book you read?
Probably The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.
22. What was your favorite film of this year?
Probably “Star Trek“.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 34. I can’t really remember what we did though! Apparently I’m getting old. I think we went out for dinner to Fino.
24. What kept you sane?
Going to the gym with Billie.
25. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Patrick Jane from The Mentalist, aka Simon Baker. Tasty.
26. Who did you miss?
Katie and Marc when they were in Japan. All the Australian branch of the family. It was so fun for Alexander to play with his cousin when we visited in March. I wish we had the opportunity for them to play like that more often.
27. Who was the best new person you met?
[swiped from Shauna]